NorthWords is now accepting entries to the 2019 Youth writing contest.
Deadline for Entries is March 30, 2019 at midnight.
Must be an original work of 1000 words or less by a youth between the ages of 13 and 17, that has not been previously published. It can be fiction, nonfiction or poetry.
The winner will receive a week long YouthWrite camp experience in Calgary in the summer of 2019.
- Registration for 1 week at YouthWrite: A Camp for Kids Who Love to Write
- 1 return ticket from Yellowknife to Calgary for attendance at camp (limited additional transportation assistance may be available should the winner reside outside of Yellowknife)
The winning article will be published in The Edge YK Magazine.
Freedom of Expression
Youth writers are free to explore any and all topics. There are no pre-defined prompts.
Work that is submitted to NorthWords Youth Writing Contest must be original work created by the youth. If a submitted work is copied from another writer or is plagiarized, the work will be disqualified.
The NorthWords Youth Writing contest is adjudicated without knowledge of the writer’s identity. Please make sure that your submission does not contain any personal or identifying information.
Submitting Your Work
Send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Limit of 1 entry per author.
Writing should be attached in a Word Doc or a PDF.
In the SUBJECT line of the email include – Youth Writing Contest.
In the BODY of the email tell us:
- Your name and age (Must be between 13 and 17 years)
- Title of your work
- Your school/program. (if you’re not in school, that is perfectly fine)
- How/where your heard about NorthWords Youth Writing Contest
For paper copies address to:
NorthWords Youth Writing Contest
4921 49 St
Box 1256 Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N9
Paper submissions must be received by March 30th.
All entries must be
- typed, double spaced using Arial 12pt (or similar) font
- on 8.5” x 11” plain white paper
- submitted in English or be accompanied by a translation
- include the title on every page an all pages must be numbered
NorthWords would like to thank our sponsors, without whom this opportunity would not be possible.